Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Tuesday, 1/7


For a first attempt, I think it turned out pretty well.

I've written in here before about Kaiserschmarnn, a German dessert to which Loraine and I have a slight addiction. It's basically a dish of torn-up pancakes, topped with some kind of fruit and powdered sugar. Last year I bought a package of pre-made Kaiserschmarnn mix and put it together; unfortunately, it didn't live up to our hopes and expectations, and we spent the next few months crushed by the disappointment.

Well, okay, maybe not the next few months, but we were bummed the rest of the afternoon.

Thankfully, there are a bunch of Kaiserschmarnn recipes and videos online, so a couple of days ago I took up the challenge. Immediately I noticed there were two somewhat important things about the recipes that the pre-made mix didn't include—one was whipping eggs whites into a froth to help the batter have a little heft, and the other was the fact that you need to put butter in the pan to help it cook. How much butter, you ask? Well, I answer, four tablespoons.

Yup. You cook this whole dish in half a stick of butter.

I whipped the eggs whites into said froth, put the rest of the ingredients in, melted the half of stick of butter in a pan, and poured the batter in. The idea behind the dish is that you begin like you're cooking one giant pancake. Then, when you're ready to flip it, you cut it in quarters, so it looks like this--



(Excuse the poor picture quality--I was using my phone instead of a real camera, and, you know...)

Anyway, as the other side is cooking, you keep tearing or cutting it up until it's done. It's not supposed to look pretty, and that's fine with us. Because it was done and sprinkled with the powdered sugar, it looked like this--




That's pretty much how we remembered it, and after we put a little cinnamon applesauce on it, it tasted exactly like we remembered.

Trust me on this—we won't be bummed for the next few months.

Now that I've successfully made it we're starting to think of other things that might top it, aside from the traditional apple topping. I'm thinking a blueberry compote might be good, as might a dark cherry and/or peach topping (peaches being one of Loraine's favorite fruits). I'm not quite sure which might work best, but I'm willing to make as many as I need to to be able to find out.

It's the least I can do for our taste buds.

8-)



No comments:

Post a Comment