Friday, January 17, 2020

Friday, 1/17


My life is really weird today.

I know; I say that all the time. And it's often true. But every time I think things are back to normal, they're not. To whit--

In a few minutes, I have to go shoot one of the quarterfinal episodes of “High School Bowl”. Then I have to go look at a few potential pictures for next week's “North/South” show. Then I have to meet with a local singer who's recorded a new song. Then I have to go over some stuff for next Saturday's Noquemanon. Then I have to try to squeeze in all my radio stuff, including everything I need to do for the weekend, all the while waiting to be interviewed by TV-6 for a story on the 100th anniversary of Prohibition.

So, you know, it's a typical Friday.

It wouldn't surprise me if I got an extra phone call or two, as well. I've been speaking with a lot of people who grew up in North or South Marquette for the show next week, and it seems like every time I talk to someone they tell a friend or three, who then call me with more stories, and pretty soon the whole thing has expanded exponentially. I'm not complaining at all; in fact, I love hearing the stories.

It's just that I may have to call a few of the people back Saturday or Sunday, if they don't mind.

I'm not complaining. Really, I'm not. I love each and every thing I'm doing today, and I wish I had a LOT more time to devote to each and every one of those things. But despite my asking for it every year, Santa Claus has yet to give me that mythical 25th hour in a day, so I can only do what I can do with the time I have.

And part of me feels a little bad that I may have to put one of two of those calls off for a day. I don't know the how or the why of it, but it seems that the older people who grew up in North or South Marquette are glad they're finally being able to tell their stories. Like I mentioned earlier this week in the post about the North Marquette School, a lot of the history of the two neighborhoods was never documented well, because no one “important” lived there. The stories were never told. And now that I'm collecting them, it seems like the dam of decades of historical neglect has burst, and they're flowing everywhere.

That's why I feel bad about not having time to talk to everyone as soon as they call. I just wish the real world—you know, responsibility—didn't get in the way.

Oh well; what are you going to do, right?

With that, I'm off to my first TV appearance of the day. Because, you know, having more than one TV appearance in a day isn't weird at all, is it?

8-)

Have a great weekend,



No comments:

Post a Comment