Thursday, January 2, 2020

Thursday, 1/2


I know it would be my worst nightmare.

As most of you know, my parents are snowbirds. As soon as we'll let them after Christmas, they like to head down to their place in Florida and bask in the sunshine, the watercolors, and the Pickleball. This year, they were scheduled to head back down there Tuesday morning, so they could ring in the new decade with their friends.

At the rate things are going, we're hoping they're able to get down there by 2030.

They received a message Monday night that their flight from Marquette had been canceled because of the horrendous weather. That in and of itself wasn't a surprise; they were kind of ready for that possibility. What they weren't ready for was the fact that their airline (not the one I usually fly, American) couldn't get them out of Marquette until Friday morning because there aren't any seats available.

They're having to spend an extra three days in Marquette because an airline can't get enough planes up here. That's a good business model, right?

While it's a horrid inconvenience and a pain in the you-know-what for my parents, at least they have someplace to stay, and people they know with whom to hang out. Can you imagine if you were visiting Marquette for the holidays and trying to get home, they told you had to spend an extra three days here because there weren't any seats available? You'd have to find a place to stay. You'd have to find things to do. And you'd leave with one of the worst impressions you could ever have of a place.

Every time we fly that thought is always in the back of my mind. What if some kind of natural disaster or human-made conflict or (he says sarcastically) the lack of available seats caused us to be stuck somewhere for a day or more? While I'm sure we would make the best of it we would still have things that needed to be taken care of at home, responsibilities that could care less whether or not an airline caused us to miss them.

It is not a situation that I would ever want to live through. And yet my parents get to do it this week, as does every other single person who couldn't fly out.

Now, I know the weather is beyond anyone's control. I am well aware that you can't land a plane on ice, that you can't fly through a thunderstorm, and that your passengers' safety is of paramount importance to an airline. I know that, I get that, and I appreciate that. But if you miss flights when the weather is bad, shouldn't you make them up when the weather is good (like, say, today)? You have the planes, you have the crews, but because it would cut into your bottom line by using them you decide to strand hundreds of people for one or two or three days. And yes, I know (trust me, I know) there are other variables in play, everything from landing slots to mandated rest times for flight crews, but it still doesn't make it any better for those affected.

Is it any wonder people list flying as only slightly less painful than, say, a root canal?

Ironically, my parents could've driven to Florida in the time that they're being forced to wait. However, they drove down there in October and left their vehicle there, planning on driving it back when they come home for the summer. So that's out of the question. The airline also said that if they could get to Detroit there are plenty of flights with open seats to get them to Florida. But if you don't have a vehicle to get there (or friends or family with two days to spare to drive them there) that option isn't of much use.

What are you gonna do, right?

So my parents get to spend an extra three days in the U.P., not because they want to but because they have to. I'm sure they'll make them most of it, playing with my brother's kids and hanging out with whatever friends of theirs are still up here. It's just such a fubar'd system that led to it happening that I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.

Least of all my parents.




No comments:

Post a Comment