Monday, January 13, 2020

Monday, 1/13


It kept going for almost 16 hours.

I spent most of yesterday (Sunday) in our living room. Among the various things I did? A little working out, reading a (an actual) newspaper, writing yet another article for said newspaper, coming up with a few questions for “High School Bowl”, putting the finishing touches on next week's big Kaufman program, and, as the evening wore on, watching a little TV with Loraine.

So it was a pretty good, if busy, day.

The one thing that accompanied me throughout the day was the dog across the street. I don't know if I've written about this before, but the people who live across the street from us have a dog that does nothing but bark. I'm not kidding. It barks at people walking by, it REALLY barks when there's another dog present, and it fills the time between barking at people walking by and people walking by with other dogs by, well, barking some more.

In case you didn't get the idea, it barks all the time.

I don't know if the people who own the dog realize how much the dog barks, but I kinda get the idea they do. After all, the dog would probably be kept inside if it was quiet, right? Instead, it's put outside where the entire neighborhood gets to enjoy its non-stop symphony. And lest you think it's just Jim, who doesn't like dogs, complaining about the barking, rest assured it's not. Four times in the past year the police have been called by people other than me in the neighborhood about the noise the dogs make. If you don't believe me, check the police log.

Yet the dog's owners keep putting it out.

I woke up yesterday around 8 am, and one of the first things I heard was the dog barking. Throughout the day, as I did this and did that, one of the things I heard was the dog barking. When Loraine came in to the living room to see if I was still alive, the first thing she said was, and I quote, “The stupid dog's barking again”. And when I decided to turn the TV off last night around 10, what did I hear?

Yup. The dog barking. Fourteen hours after I first heard it, it was still going. Just like it's done every day for the past several years. There may have been times yesterday when it was quiet, but if so, I didn't really notice them, as they were far outnumbered by the times it was barking. You'd think I'd get used to it, that it would become part of the background noise of my neighborhood, like the firetrucks and drunk college students, but nope. It stands out and it doesn't seem to go away.

I know I complain in here enough about dogs, and I don't want to to it again. Like I always say, 95% off dog owners are good people, responsible to both their pets and the humans who live around them But it's the other 5 percent, like the people who live across the street, that give all dog owners a bad name. If your dog barks so much that you have to stick it outside all day every day so you don't hear it, maybe you shouldn't have a dog. If your dog barks so much that neighbors have to call the police about the noise, yet you do nothing about it, maybe you shouldn't have a dog.

Maybe if you lived in the country, with no one around you, then it wouldn't matter if you had a dog that did nothing but bark 14 hours a day. But when you live in a city neighborhood, in fact one of the most densely packed neighborhoods in a city, you might want to think twice about having a dog that does nothing but bark 14 hours a day. You'd think four visits from the police in a year might alert you to that fact, but in this case...well, not so much.

That's how I spent my Sunday. It was a good day, even with the soundtrack.


No comments:

Post a Comment