Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Wednesday, 3/27


I can't decide if it looks like a doorstop or a piece of cake.

Some days it seems, at least to me, that I've taken every picture there is to be taken in Marquette. I'll walk around with my camera yet take few pictures because I've already taken the exact same shot of the exact same thing several times before. So when I come across some weird lighting or a new angle of a building I've shot many times before, I smile a little smile and make sure I get the shot. That happened over the weekend, when I was practicing for our upcoming trip to Germany and took this picture of the Savings Bank Building.



I've shot this particular building before, but never from this particular angle. And I don't think I've ever been able to get the whole building into one shot. But thanks to the upper level of the Range Bank parking deck, my freakishly long arms, a wide-angle lens, and a willingness to lean over a railing forty feet above the ground, I have the shot.

And I think it looks...different.

For some reason, to me, at least, the building in this shot looks even narrower than it does in person. I mean, you can stand behind it in real life and see how it tapers to the narrow back end, but for some reason this picture really makes it stand out in a way I've never noticed before. When I first saw it the first thought that popped into my head was “kitchen scraper”, those narrow things you use to clean dough off of a counter-top. But after looking at it a little more, I've come to the conclusion it resembles either a doorstop or the last piece of cake left after an all-night birthday party.

Now if the owners would only let me put over-sized candles on the roof. THEN think of the shot I could get!

8-)

One of the many things I love about Marquette is the fact that you can wander around, even after however many years I've been doing this, and see things you never noticed. This is a great example. I see the Savings Bank Building every single day of my life. I thought I had looked at it from every conceivable angle, and in every conceivable light. But I was wrong, and it wasn't the first time. No matter where you go or what you look at, you might notice something you've never noticed before.

Even if you do think it looks like a piece of giant leftover birthday cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment