Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Wednesday, 3/21


And happy first day of “Spring”!

Actually, it's been almost (early) Spring-like around here the past few days, which means that the snow is melting and leaving in its wake a bunch of stuff no one should have to see. So with that in mind I dug out a blog that I used to post every year around this time (although not for the past half decade or so). Here it is, as originally written March 24th, 2003 (back, apparently, when I felt I needed to capitalize almost everything for emphasis).

It's kind of sad things really haven't changed in the 16 years since.

****

I’ve discovered the one bad thing about snow melting in Marquette—dog crap.

Piles of dog crap EVERYWHERE.

You know, if I ever run for Marquette City Commission, I know I may be the biggest loser in the city’s electoral history. Why? Because some days, I feel like one of the main platforms of my campaign would be to ban dogs in the city.

Now, I know MANY people will not agree with that sentence, but it’s the truth—a city really IS no place for a bounding, fun-loving, full of energy animal like that. Farms are GREAT for animals like that. Suburbs with big back yards are GREAT for animals like dogs. And I really do think dogs can be a valued member of a family, especially with a single person looking for companionship or a family with kids. But to try and keep them cooped up in houses or chained up in a yard…that’s really not fair to the animals, is it?

Marquette has three specific laws regarding dogs, and while 90% of the people follow them to the letter, it’s the 10 percent that DOESN’T that made we want to write this column.

First of all, let’s specifically address the dog poop issue. There is a pooper-scooper law in Marquette. If you dog goes, you have to clean it up. However, just look around any sidewalk in Marquette where the snow has melted. You see piles of the stuff EVERYWHERE. You have to jump over it, walk around it, detour by it…and all because some people refuse to follow that law. And if you point that out to someone whose dog does their natural business and doesn’t clean it up, they get defensive, like you’re persecuting their poor pet for no reason at all.

Maybe we should just put mounds of bacteria-breeding material on every street corner and be done with it.

There’s also a leash law in Marquette, one that states you must keep your dog on a 6-foot (or shorter) leash. Yet every time I go running or walking (especially in the summer, near a park) there ALWAYS seems to be a loose dog running toward me, fangs bared, often times nipping at my heels or jumping on my leg. When I yell at it or push it out of the way, the owner once again gets defensive and says “my dog won’t hurt you”. Well, how do I know that? It’s an animal showing its teeth and running at me. What do you THINK goes through my mind at a time like that?

Finally, there’s also a law that says your dog isn’t s’posed to be outside between, I believe, 11pm and 7am. That way, your animal won’t bark, whine, or whimper, and keep everyone in the neighborhood up. Now, I may be a little sensitive on this issue, seeing as how I have a neighbor who keeps TWO dogs out and vocal every night, but isn’t common courtesy an issue in this matter? If your backyard (or wherever you keep your dog) connects with 6 or 7 other backyards, SHOULDN’T you think about others before putting your dog out? My neighbor has said they put the dogs out because they bark inside the house and keep THEM awake.

After hearing THAT, I just kept thinking “HELLO…if they’re loud in your house, whaddya think they’re like OUTSIDE”?

I know that I’m in a VERY small minority on this issue. I know that no one wants to get rid of their dogs, and I know that no one wants to see more restrictive laws placed on them. Maybe if that 10% of people I mentioned at the beginning of this column would just realize that their pets can be and sometimes ARE a problem, and would do something about it, maybe we could ALL live in peace.




No comments:

Post a Comment