Monday, March 25, 2019

Monday, 3/25


It's a joke. I should know—I wrote it.

A couple of days ago I took a picture of one of the 17 zillion potholes in Marquette and posted it to Facebook's “You Know You're From Marquette If” group. Here's a screenshot of the post--



Most of you who know me know that I wasn't being that serious about the post, and for those of you who REALLY don't know me the second hashtag on the post--”sarcasm to the nth degree”--should a tip-off. Yet, in a sign that people either really don't read posts all the way through or really don't pay attention to hashtags, most of the comments under the post were along the lines of this one--

“Leave it to Jim Koski to see the positive in a horrid situation”.

A comment that, by the way, that had six or seven “likes” given to it. So I'm glad I was able to see the positive in a horrid situation. Even if I was trying to be a smart-*ss about the whole thing.

I know I have the world's driest sense of humor. I know certain things I've said or have done have gotten me strange looks. I know I can say or do things with straight face and actually have people believe me, up to the point where I have to say “it's a joke” to let them know what I'm trying to get across. And this post is, I guess, another perfect example of this.

Subtlety is, I guess, not my friend. Or at least not my friend in this case.

And then there's another thing to consider here, as well. Apparently the general public has discovered my personal secret of being an eternal optimist, about seeing the sunny side of any bleak situation. Those of you who read this know I've been blessed in that regard; I guess I struck the genetic and/or emotional jackpot, as far as that goes. But, apparently, the secret's out. I don't know why, I don't know how, but it is.

Although if you're gonna have a public reputation, it's not a bad one to have.

And, of course, by writing this I'm proving the lady who wrote the original comment right. I took a bad situation—no one got my joke!--and turned it into something positive in the form of this blog. And I didn't even have to leave a hashtag to do it.

Of course, if the original post is any indication, no one would've read the hashtag in the first place, so it really wouldn't matter, would it?

8-)

(jim@wmqt.com), dry wit, eternal optimist.

No comments:

Post a Comment