Thursday, March 7, 2019

Thursday, 3/7


Welcome to the world, Calum!



My brother and his fiance welcomed their second child to the world yesterday. Calum Lee Koski made his planetary debut a little after noon, which now means that poor Tiffanie will have to live in a household with four dudes, ranging in age from 40-something years to 40-something hours. I feel for her. I really do.

8-)

I have two wishes right off the bat for my youngest nephew. I hope he's able to lead a long, fruitful, and happy life. That goes without saying for all of my nieces and nephews, and so far they've all been able to do that. Secondly, I hope he's not like his older brother in one very important aspect--

I hope he doesn't cry every time he sees me.

I may have mentioned this before, but Calum's brother Abel, would, for the first year and a half of his life, cry every time he saw me. We never did figure out why, although we're pretty sure it has something to do with the fact that my brother and I look a lot alike (except I still have hair) and the young man may have just been a little confused. I get that. I don't get a lot about kids, but I do get that. Thankfully, in the last few months that changed, and every time I see Abel I now get a big hug & a kiss, even if it's in the middle of a grocery store.

So I have that going for me.

The one thing that blows my mind about both Abel and Calum is that, odds are, they'll both be alive in the year 2100. They may be semi-doddering old men, hitting each other with their walkers as brothers are wont to do, but they'll be around for a year that many of us still consider to be science fiction. How much will the world change during their lifetimes? I mean, when you consider how much things have changed since even their dad was born, the possibilities are endless. And I hope, for their sake, the possibilities are all positive.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. After all, young Calum now has his entire lifetime (minus, of course, one day) for those possibilities to unfold.



No comments:

Post a Comment