Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Wednesday, 8/12

I wonder how rich you have to be to afford a toy like this--


This is a mega-yacht that's berthed in Marquette's Lower Harbor this week, a leviathan that's been visiting various ports on the Great Lakes this summer.. I don't know who owns it (although there has been a LOT of conjecture on various social media sites), nor do I know why they're tooling around the lakes.

All I know is that it sure has people talking.

I know nothing about the construction of mega-yachts, aside from reading an article or two over the years in Vanity Fair, talking about rich people and their toys. Based on those articles, I would guess that the ship probably costs 8 figures. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if it hit 9 figures. Now, I could be wrong--like I said, I'm basing everything I know on magazine articles--but to have enough spare change to build something like that means you probably have a little too much spare change lying around.

If you know what I mean.

Let say, for the sake of argument, that it costs 80 million bucks. It's your money; you can do what you want with it. But is the world REALLY a better place by sticking a mega-yacht on the Great Lakes? Couldn't you feed, say, a million people for eighty days instead? Isn't THAT a better use of the money? Once again, it's that person's money. They can do what they want with it. All I know is that if I had 80 million bucks in spare change lying around, I sure wouldn't buy a yacht.

But then, that's just me.

I hope the yacht's owner enjoys their time in Marquette. Maybe they can look under the boat's cushions and find a couple of thousand extra dollars lying around to donate to Room at the Inn or some other organization that provides help for those who need it. Because I'm guessing that if you spend that much money on a yacht...

A donation like that is, to use the word I use to much, literally pocket change.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment