Above all, I really admire his determination.
I think I've mentioned before how working where I do--in the heart of downtown Marquette--allows me to observe people as they pass by up & down Frost Street. It's especially interesting this time of the year, when you can watch the tourists with their heads on a swivel or buried in Google maps. But you also develop a sense of the "regulars", the people who live & work in the area and make their way here and there on a daily basis.
Like the elderly gentleman who passes by each morning with the walker.
Now, I have no idea who this individual is. I'm guessing he probably lives at Pine Ridge, and that he heads out every single day on a journey downtown. Whether it's for exercise or for chores, I have no idea. All I know is that I'll see his slowly make his way down the hill with his walker, and then an hour or so later he'll be back going up the hill, oftentimes moving a little slower than on his journey down, but he makes it.
That is one bad-ass dude.
As you may recall, we've had some nasty weather this summer. And even on the days when it's been 95 degrees or there's been smoke so thick you couldn't see four blocks away, he was out there, making his way up & down Front Street. I was glad to see that on the smokiest of days he was wearing an N-95 mask, but he was still out there.
And that was impressive.
Like I said, I don't know who he is; in fact, the closest I've come to talking to him has been the several tines we exchanged greetings as I was standing outside the station eating and he was coming up the hill with his walker. But that doesn't stop my admiration for what he's doing. He's obviously had some health issues in his life recently, yet he's doing his darnedest to to get out there and continue enjoying life. Whether his walk is for rehab or just for fun. I think it's something that we should all emulate, at least if we're ever in a situation like that.
Maybe one of these days I'll run out while he's shuffling by, and let him know how much I admire what he's doing. But he's working hard when he's out there, and I don't know if I want to interrupt him. I guess in the end it doesn't matter; as long as he keeps doing what he's doing, we can put him on the list of one the reasons why it's so great to work in downtown Marquette--
To see people like this gentleman (and his walker) setting an example for the rest of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment