Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Wednesday, 2/21

Okay...so I DON'T get to tell you about something new we're doing here, because the person who was supposed to get it going was sick yesterday.

Tomorrow, hopefully. Keep your fingers crossed.

Instead, let me tell you about something I've noticed as I'm gathering research and pictures for the upcoming new batch of those “Pieces of the Past” history videos I make. Did you know no one has a picture of the Alibi in Marquette?

One of the videos I'm making is about dance clubs over the years, and the Alibi certain qualifies as that. After all, from the 70s through the 90s, it was THE bar frequented by NMU students (not surprising, perhaps, seeing as how it sat right across the street from NMU). A couple of years ago, when I was putting one of my bar shows together I did a quick survey and found that the Alibi topped the list as the bar people remember the most fondly. But for as beloved as the place was, no one seems to have a picture of it I can use.

No one.

That actually does surprise me a little. After all, you'd think that people who spent a big chunk of their life in the building would have some kind of memento of it. But then when you consider what people were doing in the building while they were there, you can also understand why there weren't any pictures. I mean, it is kinda hard to hold a beer AND a camera at the same time, right?

All I've been able to come up with so far is a newspaper ad that talks about the bar, and (pardon the pun) barring anything else popping up by tomorrow I'll just use that. It would be nice, though, to have a picture of the actual building, inside or out. I have pictures of all the other dance clubs I'll be talking about, including ones going all the way back to the 1910s.

But something from the 1970s? Not so much.

I have feelers out to what seems like 100 groups and individuals regarding a picture, so maybe one of those feelers will pay off. And if it doesn't? Well, that's not necessarily a bad thing, I guess, because if nothing else, I can spend a few seconds during the video talking about the freaky fact that no one seems to have a picture of a bar a whole lot of people claim was their favorite.

So, I guess, keep your fingers crossed that I find a picture. Or, if you want, keep your fingers crossed that I DON'T find the picture. I guess I can work with whatever comes my way, no matter which way it comes.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment