Thursday, February 22, 2024

Thursday, 2/22

Well, our snow's gone again.


Following a week of (almost) winter-like conditions our abnormally bizarre weather conditions for the year have returned. It's been in the 40s the past few days, and after a chance of snow tomorrow it'll be back in the 40s for the foreseeable future. One by one most of our major winter events have been canceled, and almost every day we come across something that just hasn't happened before, or something that hasn't happened in a long, long, time.

I'd like to add something to that list, if I may. This will most likely be the first winter in over 30 years that I haven't been able to go cross-country skiing.

I started cross-country skiing a few years after I moved back up here. I was looking for something to help me get through the winter both physically and mentally, and my parents (the greatest parents in the world, of course) gave me a pair of skis for Christmas. I was instantly hooked; for many years, I would head out to Blueberry Ridge every weekend, and once I went car-free a decade or so ago, I would often walk over to the Fit Strip in Marquette for a few laps. And even though I've slowly been cutting back on skiing and shifting more toward snowshoeing the past few years, I still love going out after a fresh snow and logging a bunch of kilometers.

But this year? It's looking for and more like it'll be the first since (I think) 1991 that I won't able to do that.

We had that one big storm (well, if you consider 11 inches a “big” storm) in January, after which I went snowshoeing around Park Cemetery and the Fit Strip. Everything then soon melted. We then had (maybe) three inches this past weekend, which was not enough to either ski or snowshoe. Now, whatever's left from that will soon be melted. And while it wouldn't shock me in any way if we got a 22-inch dump of the white stuff before the middle of May, I have a feeling like the weather's gonna stay the way it has the past few months.

Weather warm and snow free enough for me to play soccer several times since Christmas. But cross-country ski?

Nope. And I'm pretty sure that for the first time in over three decades it's not gonna happen.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment