Friday, February 2, 2024

Friday, 2/2

I'm pretty sure it's not my fault. But these days, I can't be 100% sure.

No more than an hour and a half after I posted yesterday's entry about the weather's impact on events like the UP 200 came news that for the second year in a row the UP 200 race itself had been canceled due to a lack of snow, to be replaced by the “Festival of the Sled Dog” for the second year in a row. Now, I know I had nothing to do with it; all I did was point our that the weather REALLY hasn't been conducive to winter events up here.

But after my TV piece this past Monday, I'm starting to wonder.

In case you didn't see it, the piece was a joke apology about a prediction I made at the beginning of the year. That prediction was that we wouldn't get any snow and our major winter events would have to be altered, which caused Sarah to (jokingly) say that it would be all my fault if said major winter events were indeed altered or canceled. It was a joke on my part and a joke on her part, yet that prediction still came true which means, if you look at it a certain way, that it's all my fault.

Oops.

Yes, I know I'm not to blame, at least not anywhere as much as El Nino and climate change. But still, these are important events, not only to the area in general but, as I said yesterday, also to the merchants who depend upon them. I feel for them, and like I said yesterday, I hope it's not the start of a run like this.

Because that would suck, not only for them but for the UP in general, as well.

On that note, have yourself a great weekend. It's only supposed to be sunny & 15 degrees above average here the next few days, which means that our “winter” doesn't appear to be coming back any time soon.

(jim@wmqt.com)

(ps—the TV spot, in case you didn't see it? CLICK HERE).

No comments:

Post a Comment