Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Tuesday, 2/27

Believe it or not, this is a line I utter with some regularity--

“Argh. Where'd my brain go?”

Now, don't worry. It's not like I've lost my mind (or whatever I have left of my mind after all these years of being me). Instead, when I wonder where my brain went, I'm wondering about THIS brain--



That's a little foam brain, given to me by my mother-in-law over a decade ago, right after I was in my little bike accident and had a bashed up hand. I needed something to squeeze to get my stuff appendage loose, she had the brain lying around, and voila—that's how I ended up with the brain.

Although I don't need it any more, I still have the brain sitting on my desk at work, among the papers and other little knick-knacks that people have decorating their workspace. Unlike the other knick-knacks sitting on my desk the brain, though, has a mind of its own. Because of its weird shape it'll often roll around on its own, or because it's usually sitting near a mouse cable it gets sent off flying somewhere whenever I'm trying to get work done.

And THAT'S why I'm often uttering the line about wondering where my brain went.

Now, I realize I could put an end to all this just my placing the brain somewhere else on my desk, but where would the fun be in that? I could stick it in a drawer or somewhere out of harm's way, but then it wouldn't go rolling around and give me an excuse to visit all the dust-balls underneath my desk as I'm retrieving it.

Where would the fun be in that?

So for now, the brain stays where it is. I may need to go searching for it every few weeks, but I'm okay with that. I mean, who among us HASN'T wondered where our mind has gone on occasion, right?

8-)

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment