Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Wednesday, 1/27

 The $600 is, I'm happy to say, almost gone. I've done my best.

Now, what to do with the next round?

As I've written about in here many times, I've been one of the lucky ones the past year. Because I've been working the whole time I really don't have a pressing need for this latest round of stimulus money, so I've been spending every single cent of it at locally owned businesses. With the latest round I've picked up everything from running pants to basil-vanilla soap, and I've been able to pass the money around to as many local businesses as possible.

After all, the stimulus money is supposed to stimulate the economy, right? I'm just doing my part.

If thing go according to plan we'll soon be getting another $1,400, which will be a lifeline for those who really need it. But for those of us who don't, a somewhat unique situation may arise—where to spend the money when it comes in.

This may sound strange, but I think I've started to run out of places to spend the money. I could go buy another pair of running pants or a few more bars of soap; I can certainly find more restaurants from which to get food. But I'm also thinking of another group with whom I could share some of the money--

Non-Profit organizations.

Like I said, I don't necessarily need to buy anything else. I mean, I could, but I'd literally have no place to put it. And knowing the huge hit that most non-profits have taken in the past year, I'm thinking they might be a great way to use the next round of stimulus money. The only thing is...there are so many of them that could use the help that I'm not quite sure who to help.

When I was just trying to buy things, the choices were rather easy. What i was buying had to come from a store that was  locally owned and should have been something that I'd actually use (or discover something new that I now can't live without). But local non-profits? Like I said, there are so many out there that could use the help that I'm not quite sure where to start. Sure, there are a couple with which I'm involved, but there are also others that I wouldn't mind helping out. There are also others that are in dire need, and could use the money.

How does one choose?

It'll be a little while before we get the $1,400, so I do have some time. But I am going to have to devote a little thought to this. I'd like to help out every group that deserves it. The problem is, that's almost every non-profit these days. So which ones get the money, and which ones don't?

At this moment, I have no idea. But I suppose I should start figuring it out soon.

(jim@wmqt.com)



No comments:

Post a Comment