Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Wednesday, 1/13

 I guess, in the end, it's a case of two rights making a wrong. Or at least a burp in the space/time continuum.

I wear a mask whenever I'm around people. It's the smart thing to do, it's the respectful thing to do, and it's the healthy thing to do. I also try to eat salmon a couple of times a week. It's the smart thing to do, it;s the healthy thing to do, and besides, I actually like salmon. I know some people don't like the taste or smell, but it doesn't really brother me.

Yesterday, I was eating a pouch of salmon for lunch when someone stopped by the station to pick up a prize. Before I let them in I threw on my mask, even though I hadn't finished swallowing the mouthful of salmon I was ingesting. I gave them their prize, they left, I took off my mask, and finished eating my salmon.

All was well in the world.

A few hours later another listener showed up to pick up their prize. I threw my mask back on, and was immediately overcome by the smell of two hour old half-chewed salmon that was lingering in it. I may have held my breath as much as I could while giving that listener their prize, then after they left I whipped off the mask, ran back to the sink, and washed that sucker out.

Twice.

As I said, I know that some people don't like the smell of salmon, but it's never, ever bothered me. However, apparently, if you breath through a half-chewed mouth of salon into a contained space...say, a face mask...and don't immediately wash out that contained space the scent lingers. It festers. It eventually makes a dirty baby diaper smell almost alpine fresh by comparison.

Really, it does.

Thankfully, I survived to tell the story. However, it's not a mistake I'd be prone to make again. I'm not going to stop wearing a mask. I'm not going to stop eating salmon. There is a distinct possibility, though, that I won't do both at the same time. I really think I learned that lesson yesterday.

So to quote a favored saying of the grandfather I was writing about last week, don't do as I do. Do as I say.

8-)

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment