Thursday, January 21, 2021

Thursday, 1/21

 Today was supposed to start my annual “Big Weekend of the Year”. But because it's, what, December 52nd, 2020, it won't be happened as scheduled.

Bummer.

Every January I have a weekend that's a whirlwind from Thursday night to Saturday night, one that brings out all the “Jims” that we keep referring to here. On Thursday History Jim would be doing the big annual history jokefest at Kaufman Auditorium. After a few hours of sleep TV Jim would shooting the quarterfinals of “High School Bowl”, then become Radio Jim for the afternoon. After a little more sleep Finish Line Jim would then head down to the Superior Dome to announce the names of 1,500 or so people wrapping up their Noquemanon.

That's why it's my “Big Weekend of the Year”. But this year, it's not even my “Small Weekend of the Year”. Oh well.

The Noquemanon has been turned into a virtual race. “High School Bowl” has been cancelled for the entire season. And while we did put together a video version of the Kaufman show, I finished it a week ago and without a crowd present it's way different than it usually is. So the only part of the “Big Weekend of the Year” that's left is radio, and seeing as how I do that almost every day of my life it's no big deal.

Oh well.

The “Big Weekend of the Year” was always a little hectic; as I've written in here before, I would get to do all of these cool things yet not have any time to reflect on what had just happened. I'd go from Kaufman to TV to radio to finish line announcing without taking more than a few breaths, and while by the end of the weekend my voice would be strained and I'd be craving sleep it was always an amazing 45 or 46-hour span.

Everyone should be lucky enough to experience a weekend like that, and before this year I was able to do it almost every year. And seeing as how this is one of the least painful ways in which you could affected by this whole pandemic thingee, I'm lucky times two.

After all, it's not that big of a deal in the entire scheme of things. It's just a bummer. That's all it is.

Tomorrow, maybe I'll share a little of the “Skiing, Skating, and Slapshots” program we had to do virtually instead of in-person this year. So behave, and that'll be your reward.

8-)

(jim@wmqt.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment