Monday, January 18, 2021

Monday, 1/18

Happy Martin Luther King Day!

I had very good day off Friday, thanks for asking. Although I didn't get to do any of the things for which I had originally taken the day off, I just kind of relaxed, chilled, and did what I wanted when I wanted.

It was weird. But fun.

I also made a discovery, too. This was a discovery I never thought I'd make, nor one that I ever assumed would have to be made. But a few moments after I finished running (in the rain, in January) Friday, I did indeed make a discovery so profound and so (dare I say) horrid that it may change my life in ways have yet to understand.

I discovered I may be getting tired of eating chocolate.

I know...mind blown, right? Yet for a moment Friday morning, right as I reached for my first piece of the day, that flash did cross my mind—did I REALLY want to eat it? For several seconds, I pondered the thought, holding the chocolate that really, in that immediate moment, didn't seem all that appealing.

Then I ate it.

I ate several other pieces that morning, too, proving that (I guess) I'm really not tired of eating chocolate. And as I ruminated on this bizarre reaction, I all of a sudden realized that I probably wasn't getting tired of eating chocolate so much as I was getting tired of eating chocolate with bits of candy cane crushed up inside, the kind I was holding in my hand when I had that strange feeling of not wanting any more chocolate.

And just between you & me, I'm okay with that.

As we entered the holiday season a few months ago Loraine and I may—may--have gone a little overboard in buying seasonal chocolate. I personally blame the Marquette Food Co-op; they had a selection that was too good to be true. And a lot of that chocolate, especially the dark chocolate of which I am a little too fond, had crushed up candy canes or some other peppermint flavoring inside. Those bars consist of the majority of the chocolate I've been eating recently, and Friday morning just must have been a kind of breaking point, a way of my body reminding me that there ARE other kinds of chocolate, not just the kind with crushed up candy canes in them.

So that's why I thought I was getting tired of eating chocolate. And that's also why I spent a chunk of the day eating more chocolate. It just wasn't the kind with the candy canes in it.

Of course, I still have several various bars of chocolate containing candy canes or peppermint flavor lying around. I'm now kind of curious. If I let them lie around for a few months, will I still be sick of them? Will I be able to eat them with as much gusto as I usually attack chocolate, or will I be forced to, say, stick them in cookies and give them away to someone? I have no idea. We're in uncharted territory here, so we'll just have to see.

I'll let you know the answer in three or four months.

8-)

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment