Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Wednesday, 12/27

Please don’t laugh, but I don’t think I got my fill of Christmas music this year.

See, you’re laughing, aren’t you? I don’t blame you, because by the time Christmas actually rolls around most normal people have heard enough Christmas music to last them for the next 11 months. But as we all know, I’m anything but normal, especially this holiday season.

Hence, the Christmas music I could still probably listen to.

Aside from what we played on the air leading up to the holiday, I really didn’t get a chance to listen to a lot of Christmas music this year. I listened to the usual discs when I was making cookies, and I listened to one of my favorites--“Soul Christmas”--a couple of times while wrapping gifts Friday afternoon, but that was about it. I just didn’t have time to listen to anything else. By my reckoning, I only heard “The Christmas Song” twice, “All I Want For Christmas Is You” three times, and in a stunning reversal from normal, I don’t believe I heard “Happy Xmas (War Is Over)” or Vince Gill’s sublime version of “White Christmas” even once this year.

Not once!

Unfortunately, the two “Christmas” songs I heard the most (and you did notice the quotes around “Christmas”, right?) were “Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer” and “Rusty Chevrolet””, if only because those are the two holiday songs for which we received the most Instant Requests. Those don’t really get the spirit of the season across, unless you consider the spirit of the season to be vehicular homicide or the need for a new car. In that case, those songs are fine; in my case, not so much.

I don’t think I’ll bust out any Christmas CDs any time soon; after all, holiday music isn’t the same after the holiday’s actually over. Maybe, though, it means I’ll look forward to it just a little more than usual next Christmas, and get a chance to listen a greater variety of artists than Elmo & Patsy and Da Yoopers.

That’d be okay with me.

                                                                  *****

Before I leave I do want to mentioned how saddened Loraine and I were to hear the news of yesterday's death of Tom Baldini, the mayor of Marquette.  I've known Tom since high school, when I was a student in his Advanced Political Science class, one of the things that helped turn me from a fledgling political junkie to a full-bore political junkie.  When he worked for Bart Stupak he was a big champion of Loraine's WWII research work, offering help if she ever ran into bureaucratic road blocks.  And he was also a fan of "High School Bowl".  When we passed each other on the streets he'd always make a comment about something he noticed during the previous week's show.

He was one of the good guys.  He will be sorely missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment