Monday, December 11, 2017

Monday, 12/11

I'm saying this with a smile, but geez...kids these days.

When I last left you I was about to head over to a taping of “High School Bowl”, and that's where this story takes place. We were doing a couple of practice questions before taping starts, a necessity when you have a dork as the host of the show. The practice question I asked regarded a luminary in the history of pop music, someone so important that his music has been sampled on hundreds of songs, a movie has been made of his life, and an entire generation of singers, everyone from Prince to Bruno Mars, has called him a major influence on their careers.

Yet none of the eight students to whom I posed the question, eight of the brightest young people on the planet, had any idea who James Brown was.

I know, right? How can you NOT know who “The Godfather of Soul” was? “I Feel Fine”? “Papa's Got a Brand New Bag”? Even “Living in America” if you around during the 80s? But nope; the question had all of them stumped, and out of the corner of my eye I could see the coach of one of the teams just put his head in his hand and shake it a few times, as if not believing what he had just not heard.

I felt his pain. I really did.

Now, I guess have two thoughts about this. Part of me really can't blame teenagers for not knowing exactly who James Brown was. After all, his last big hit was 30 years ago and he himself died a decade ago. But the other part of me just wants to shout out “You HAVE to know who James Brown was. His musical DNA is part of almost every song recorded since the 1960s. How can you NOT know who James Brown was?” The students knew who Prince was, because I asked. They certainly know who Bruno Mars is. But they had no idea about from whom those two artists drew (or draw) their inspiration.

I did leave them, though, with the promise that they'd Google James Brown, and find out a little about him. Maybe, just maybe, they'll then realize what an influence he was on pop music the last 50 years, and maybe, just maybe, they'll be ready to then answer a question about the Godfather of Soul should it ever pop up again. That's the least I could do.

Kids these days...

8-)


No comments:

Post a Comment