Thursday, April 27, 2017

Thursday, 4/27

I was thinking about getting my bike out this weekend. I guess that's another dream that'll never come true.

For the past couple of weekends I've been thinking of getting it out and putting it to use, but because of everything that's going on and everything that seems to pop up I kept putting it off and kept putting it off, always thinking that I'd do it “next” weekend. Well, now that “next” weekend is on the horizon and some forecasts are calling (yikes!) a chance of snow, I guess I'll have to shift it off to the next “next” weekend.

Bummer.

Ever since I was a kid, the freeing of my bike from its winter storage has always been a really big thing. It's always been a sure sign of spring, and one to which I've always looked forward. Some years, it's been easy and early; some years, not. I even recall one year when my bike was in a storage shed in my parents backyard, a back yard full of snow, and in order to liberate my bike I shoveled a path about fifty feet long through two or three feet of snow.

I guess I really wanted my bike that year!

There are always two things I can be sure of when I get my bike out for the year. I can always be sure that the tires will need air, and that the gears will need a little oil. I'm sure that'll be the case again this year, whenever I get it out. The other thing of which I can be sure? That my legs will be sore after the first day because I invariably ride longer than I planned, just because of the joy it brings me.

If you see me looking a little weird while walking down the street, you'll know that I've ridden my bike for the first time this year.

I'm riding the same Shogun mountain bike I've been riding for over 25 years now. It's a big, heavy metal thing; I'm sure if I got a new one that did everything this one does it would now be about half the weight. But you know what? That doesn't matter to me. When I'm out on my bike for exercise, I want the weight. I want to work as hard as I can. And if I'm hauling around an extra five or ten pounds of metal; well, you can trust me. That IS hard work.

So once it actually becomes biking season for those of us who keep putting it off, I'm sure all will be well in the world. Well, okay, all will be well in my little corner of the world. I can't make any claims for anyone or anywhere else. All I have to do now is make sure that my tires stay inflated, my legs get into biking shape, and I don't do anything stupid like four years ago when I ran into the back of Loraine bike and re-arranged my face.

Wish me luck that I'll get the chance soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment