Thursday, April 13, 2017

Thursday, 4/13

I like the picture. If nothing else, it proves that I was once young.

I don't post a lot on Facebook, but when I do I'm often surprised at which posts get the most reactions. That was the case again on Monday, when in honor of National Sibling Day I stuck up two pictures featuring my sister and brother. I had to do the “now” version--



But I had to follow it up with the “then” version, mentioning that that particular shot might be a few years older than the “now” version. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but the “likes”, “loves”, and “wows” for that picture went through the roof.

But then, at least in my opinion, the picture is kind of adorable--



I came across the picture a decade or so ago when I was scanning shots out of one of my parents' photograph albums. Based on where it was in the album, I was either 19 or 20, which means that Mel was 11 or 12 and Marc was 8 or 9. I was getting ready to move out and move on, while the two of them were getting ready to terrorize my parents as teenagers-in-training. I don't know what it is about the picture that speaks to me. I don't know if it was the fact that it was marking a transition point in my life, or that it reminds me of a much simpler time for the three of us, before we all faced the complex realities of adulthood, but ever since I scanned the picture it's been one of my favorites.

A thought, apparently, shared by all those people who reacted to it in Facebook.

Or, just maybe, I like it because I look so fricking young in it. Now, I've always been blessed in that I have a youthful appearance. Heck, even in the “now” picture I don't look that bad for someone of my, uhm, advancing years. But that “then” picture is something else. I don't think I look 19 or 20. 13, maybe. 15, definitely. But old enough to vote and almost old enough to drink?

Nope. Not that I'm complaining about it one bit, mind you. You can trust me on that.

So,apparently, there's your key to getting a lot of “likes” on Facebook. Just post an adorable picture of you & your siblings. For whatever reason, it seemed to work for me. Hopefully, it will for you, too.

8-)


No comments:

Post a Comment