Friday, April 28, 2017

Friday, 4/28

I better use the pounds while I have the chance.

No, don't worry; I'm not talking about some kind of weird weight loss (or gain) scheme. Instead, I'm talking about two one-pound coins I picked up up the last time I was at Heathrow Airport in London. You see, the British government has changed the coins, and if you don't use the old ones before October of this year they become worthless pieces of metal.

So, I guess, it's a good thing I'll be flying through Heathrow in September, right?

As happens every time you come back from a country with different money, you invariably come back with some loose change. And for me, at least, that's usually not a problem, because I'll just use the change the next time I'm in that country. But every once in a while something like this coin change takes place, and you're left with hoping that you'll be able to use the old ones before they become obsolete. Luckily, on both our way to and from Dusseldorf we have to fly through London, so I'll get the chance to get rid of the coins just in the nick of time.

What it means is that I'll probably have to drink an extra can or two of British Dr. Pepper, the kind made with real sugar and the kind that tastes like Dr. Pepper in the US used to. Bummer.

8-)

In reality, it wouldn't matter that much if I didn't get to use the two one-pound coins; after all, with the way the exchange rate is after Brexit they're only worth two and a half bucks or so. And I could always use them as souvenirs to remind me of all the time I've spent waiting in Heathrow for a flight (and, just as an aside, I suppose sometime we should schedule a trip where we spend more time in England than just a few hours in an airport, right?). But as long as I'll be back under the deadline I might as well use them. If nothing else, I can always keep a few of the new 12-sided coins as souvenirs.

Or, of course, use them to buy even more Dr. Pepper the next time we're there!

So that's my plan, a plan that will actually go into motion four months from Sunday when we kick off (as Loraine calls it ) “Euro Wing-Ding 2017”. Dr. Pepper, here I come!

On that note, have yourself a great weekend. Stay warm and stay dry!


No comments:

Post a Comment