Friday, April 21, 2017

Friday, 4/21

I do know there have been Friday, April 21sts in the past that were a lot nicer, weather-wise, than today, this particular Friday, April 21st.

I know that for a fact.

I mean, today's weather is well within the realm of possibility for April 21st, whether or not it falls on a Friday. I remember some April 21sts where it was snowing, or raining, or cold, or just kind of “blah”. You know--like today. However, I do remember one Friday, April 21st, where it was nice & warm outside. In fact, it was so nice and warm outside that a remarkable young woman and I decided to get married outside on the steps of the Marquette County Courthouse instead of in an office buried deep inside the building.

THAT'S how nice it was outside that particular Friday, April 21st.

Yup; Loraine and I are celebrating yet another year of being legal today. Sometimes it's hard for me to believe just how long we've been hitched; after all, part of me insists that we only got married three or four years ago, all evidence to the contrary. Maybe it's because I remember that day with such clarity. I remember standing on the steps of the courthouse and holding her hand. I remember giving her a kiss & a huge hug after we said our “I do”s. And I remember our gathered families standing below us with way too many cameras and video recorders, making the whole scene look like we were giving a press conference or had a pack of paparazzi chasing us.



In all honesty, it was kind of sweet.

Every time we walk past the courthouse I flash back to that April afternoon, if only for a second. I had no idea at that time what would transpire in the years since. All I know is that I've been constantly amazed by the person who shared the paparazzi with me. It seems like every time I turn my head she's up to something else, something new. For instance, tomorrow she's taking part in a run. Only, this isn't your usual run. It's actually being held in Arizona, and she's doing it here as a satellite runner, helping raise money for the Pat Tillman Foundation.

Because, well, why not, right?

So happy anniversary, Loraine. Thanks for putting up with me, and for being uniquely awesome in your uniquely awesome way. I can't wait to see what kind of adventures we get into before our next anniversary. I can only hope that THAT particular April 21st is a little more like the day we got married and a little less like today.

8-)

Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment