Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Wednesday, 11/30

Wow. If you thought politics was tearing this country apart, I've got news for you. That's NOTHING compared to Christmas music!

After asking yesterday about the appropriate time to start playing holiday tunes, I have to admit that I was a little surprised over the differences in the notes readers sent me. Much like the political views of American citizens, it seems like there is no longer a middle ground, a moderate center. You're either for one side or the other, and there's no hope for compromise.

Who knew?

I received a bunch of notes from nice people who informed me that we should already be playing Christmas music. In fact, one person said she started listening to it back in September, and was kind of disappointed we didn't start playing it back then. I also received a bunch of notes from people who were thankful we haven't started playing it yet. In fact, two of the people in that group said they wouldn't mind if we didn't play ANY Christmas music at all, even on the holiday itself.

Even I think that's a little too excessive!

What surprised me the most is that I didn't get any notes from people in the middle. I didn't get one note from a person who thought this week or next week were good. And while this certainly wasn't a scientific poll, it shocked me that there wasn't one person who was more moderate in their Christmas music views, believing that a few weeks of the tunes was an acceptable alternative. According to the responses I received, you're either in favor of months of the stuff or none of it at all.

Or, put in political parlance, you're either with us or you're against us.

Now, like I said, this wasn't a scientific survey. Maybe there really is a vast “middle” group of people out there who are more “moderate” in their views on when to play Christmas music. But if so, I didn't hear from them. As a country, we've become so divided over a variety of issues that maybe, just maybe, those very strong and very rigid views have seeped over in to world of holiday tunes. I'd hope not. I'd like to think that we still have SOME common ground. But these days, I'm not taking anything like that for granted.

Anyway, thanks for the responses. I'm taking all of them and averaging them together into that mythical “common ground”. We'll start playing some Christmas music this weekend. Not a lot, but just enough to remind you that the holiday is soon on its way. Hopefully, we'll be able to squeeze into a Goldilocks zone that may or may not be there.

Ho ho ho, I guess!


No comments:

Post a Comment