Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Wednesday, 11/16

Sorry this is a little late this morning. I had to calm down before writing it.

I was that angry.

Those of you who know me know I’ve been blessed with a very even temperament. I don’t get mad; I don’t fly off into a rage at the slightest little incident. I always look on the optimistic side of things. So when I read a news story this morning, I was shocked at the feelings it stirred up. I was angry, disgusted, and frightened all at once.

And I have to speak out about it.

This is the story to which I’m referring. In summary, an African-American woman, a person whose community ties in Marquette run deep, was shoved down in Wal-Mart’s parking lot by a white man after accidentally bumping into him and was told, and I’m quoting the story here, “I hope President Trump does what he says he’s gonna do! He should send all you n----s back to Africa ”. What's even worse is that several people stood by, watching while it happened.  When I read that I started to feel sick to my stomach, especially that it could happen here, where I live.

The more I thought about it the worse the feeling became.

Part of me wanted to imagine that it could never happen so close to home. This is Marquette, for gosh sakes. If you look at an election map, we’re a big blue island in a roiling sea of red. Some of the most loving, tolerant people I’ve ever met live here. How could a hate crime like that be perpetrated in an area like this?

That’s the idealistic side of me, of course. Having lived here most of my life, I also know there’s a flip side to this situation. I know there are people who aren’t tolerant and who aren’t loving and after the election season we've been through now believe they’ve been empowered to show the world just how they feel. And as much as I would like to think that we live in our own perfect little “bubble”, events like the one in the Wal-Mart parking lot show just how misplaced my idealism can be.

I’ve often wondered why bullies, racists, and misogynists are the way they are. I’ve never understood why you have to pick on someone or hate someone else just because they look or act or think differently than you. Do you do it just to make yourself feel better? Does it give you a sense of worth that you otherwise don’t have? I don’t understand. Maybe someone smarter than me can explain it.

Because I’m at a loss for words.

I wish there was something I could do about situations like this. I wish I could make them stop. I wish I could come up with a magic potion to make hate go away and to make everyone love their neighbors. But I can’t. I’m not that smart and I’m not that powerful. About the only thing I can do about it is to share the story, to let people know what’s going on, and to shine some light on a problem that needs to stop.

It’s not much. But it’s something I feel I have to do. If this happens again, especially this close to home, I’m going to write about it again. So if you feel the need to stop reading these on a daily basis, I understand. If you need to unfriend me, I understand. I’m not trying to shove my political views down your throat.

I’m just trying to understand why there’s so much hate in our little corner of the world.



(p.s.—thanks to Brian Cabell for bringing our attention to this problem. If you don’t read his “Word on the Street” columns, you really need to start).

10 comments:

  1. So sad....these are the people, in my opinion, that do not have Jesus Christ in their lives, or if they do, do not believe what he teaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad....these are the people, in my opinion, that do not have Jesus Christ in their lives, or if they do, do not believe what he teaches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, according to the release, he not only verbally assaulted her, he pushed her down to the ground. Two women stood by and did nothing to help her. She is being much more forgiving than I think I could. I suppose we should not be surprised, we are not isolated here, but we wanted to believe it could not happen to one of our own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen first hand about the racism and harrassment here in the UP, in Marquette and Ishpeming alone from a former landlord and his offspring. I will not say names as I'm not that low, but I have had ot listen to his racism, to his innuendos, as well as his sexually charged words too. I grew up with a man who was, in my opinion, a "pig" so I became tolerant of that behavior, even tho it still hurt, I let it go. But in this case, someone should have stood up to that guy, and put him in his place after doing that to that particular woman. If more of us stand up against this hatred, we may be able to control it better, instead of just tolerating it, and letting the hate mongers take control.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This appears to be proof that the election result is seen by some as the empowerment of the most uncivil among us - a license seeming granted by a candidate who used incivility as a way to differentiate himself. Now he MUST repudiate that incivility and repudiate the people who really don't deserve to be part of society because they are incapable of the kind of civility upon which society is predicated. Donald Trump, stand up like a man and tell this loser in the Wal-Mart parking lot that his behavior is NOT okay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please consider standing up for our community and writing to the COO of Wal-Mart for release of the video surveillance to help this young women, these actions are not ok!
    http://corporate.walmart.com/our-story/leadership/executive-management/judith-mckenna/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My understanding was that she didn't care to pursue the incident. I certainly wish she would, because there are many many people who would support her including myself.

      Delete
  7. Cameras? Find the guy & charge him for assault/hate crime. She is an amazing human being & I can't believe this happened to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is probably afraid to file a complaint. Would have to leave town for fear that his friends would attack. Can't someone file a citizen's complaint. Come on UP.

      Delete
  8. Seemes to me people need to go over to WORD ON THE STREET and carefully scroll through all of the comments from over there. It doesn't look like this incident even took place. Do some due dilligence when you report on topics as touchy as racial violence.

    ReplyDelete