Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Tuesday, 3/12

I wonder when (and how) the balance shifted?

Those of you who've read these forever may recall the results of a “survey” I've done twice in the past seven or eight years. That “survey” stemmed from observations made by me & Loraine walking around Marquette all the time, observations that led us to conclude that for every Subaru Outback you come across in the city of Marquette you will soon find a Chevrolet Silverado. The “survey” I did twice was basically just counting all the Outbacks and all the Silverados I saw in one week's span of time. The first time I did the “survey” there was an equal amount of both vehicles. When I did it a few years later, Silverados outnumbered Outbacks by two (out of several hundred counted).

So even though we just had a “theory” it was backed up (twice) by a “survey”. If you get rid of the quotation marks you could call it actual “statistical analysis”.

Almost.

Anyway, the past few months we've noticed an imbalance in the Force. It seemed as if we were seeing a lot more Outbacks than we were Silverados. So I decided it was time for another “survey”, and you know what I found? There IS an imbalance in the Force. In fact, it's quite a big one. During my latest one week count, I saw almost two Outbacks for every Silverado that rolled around (65-35, to be exact-ish).

It was weird.

I don't know what the deal is. I'd say I was just counting during the wrong week, but the “survey” just backed up anecdotal observations we've been making for several months now. There ARE now more Outbacks than Silverados. In fact, like I said, a LOT more. As to the why...I have no idea. Maybe because Outbacks are cheaper to operate? Maybe the new Silverados are flawed in some way that the old one weren't? I couldn't even venture a guess as to why.

All I know is that after years of equilibrium the title of “Marquette's favorite vehicle” has shifted in a BIG way toward Subaru Outbacks. I don't think any of us saw it coming, but it has.

We live in a weird world these days, don't we?

8-)

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment