Friday, March 8, 2024

Friday, 3/8

So...what are YOU going to do today?

Here in Marquette, and in an increasing number of communities across the upper Midwest, it's “Spread Goodness Day”. Started by Marquette native Anna Dravland, it's just a day when you're supposed to do something nice. That's it—you just need to be kind to someone in some way. It's probably one of the easiest things you could ever do, and in a world where kindness sometimes seems on the verge of extinction, a day like today is welcome.

Very, very, welcome.

In the past couple of years I've been the recipient of a few acts of kindness on “Spread Goodness Day”, once when a pre-school here in downtown Marquette stopped by to give me a bag of gummies and crackers, and the other last year when some random lady called me out of the blue just to thank me for everything I do. I didn't need either of those acts, and I'm sure that other people could have probably benefited from them more than me, but they're both perfect examples of what “Spread Goodness Day” stands for.

After receiving those kind acts, I make sure I do a little something for someone. I don't wake up on “Spread Goodness Day” and think to myself that I'll do this thing or that thing, but when an opportunity presents itself I definitely take it. It might be something as simple as holding a door for someone whose arms are full, or telling someone who like their jacket, or by buying muffins for the next person in line at Babycakes.

It doesn't matter what you do. As long as it's done with kindness, that's the most important thing.



So go out and spread a little goodness not just today, but every single day you can. The world will be a better place for it. It really will.

And while you're at it, have a great weekend, too!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment