Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Tuesday, 5/16

Even though it's changed many times, the habit is still going strong after all these decades.

I think I may have mentioned in here before about a habit of mine that started back in college, and that would be the habit of, every Sunday morning, grabbing a newspaper and a few snacks and reading the morning away. I realize it's a strange habit to start in college, of all places, but since when have you or I ever considered me “normal”?

Thought so.

Anyway, as I was carrying on the tradition two days ago I started to ponder the changes that have come over it. The first is physical—I actually don't read a “newspaper” any more, at least not the kind in print. Over the years, I've gone from Detroit Free Press in print to the Chicago Tribune in print to, now, the New York Times digitally. That's just the path down which technology has led over the decades.

And, if I must admit, it IS kind of nice not having newsprint ink smeared all over my fingers by the end of the morning.

The other way my habit has changed over the years has to do with the “snacks” I inhale while reading. For instance, two days ago while perusing the Times I had a mug or two of green tea and a piece of German chocolate. And that made me flash back to the “snacks” I had each and every week when starting this habit back in college.

Specifically, it made me flash back to the quart of chocolate milk and six big chocolate chip cookies that I'd go through on an average Sunday morning.

You know, sometimes I wonder how I've managed to stay pretty much the same weight since I was in college, considering that I would have the chocolate milk and cookies for breakfast and then, I dunno, Mountain Dew & Tootsie Rolls for dinner. Thankfully, it didn't kill me back then, and thankfully, I've learned that tea & chocolate is MUCH better for you, especially if you're just sitting around for an hour or two reading.

I guess that if I've changed the way I read a newspaper that it's probably good that I've also changed what I eat while doing so, as well. I'm pretty sure both my heart AND the bathroom scale thank me. After all, I've enjoyed this habit since I was in college.

And hopefully, with what I'm eating now while reading, I can continue to enjoy it for decades to come.

(jim@wmqt.com

No comments:

Post a Comment