Monday, May 15, 2023

Monday, 5/15

I hardly ever wear sports jerseys. But when I do, I apparently turn heads.

At least that was my experience Friday, when I wore a jersey from Paris St Germain, the French team that has the world's greatest player, Kylian M'Bappe (along with a few other guys and one big diva) on it. I'm not a fan of the team, although I AM in constant amazement of M'Bappe's skills (and the fact that his helped France win the World Cup a few years ago). But I am a fan of one of their warm-up jerseys, which is why I bought it last year.

Those of you who know my taste in colors may understand why I bought it--



I realize not everyone would wear a purple and neon pink sports jersey, but you know what? I'm not everyone, and if I'm going to wear a sports jersey, you'd better believe it would be one with colors like that.

I guess, though, that I didn't think of the reaction it would have on other people. Just on my walk to work Friday I had several women stare at me (in a good way, I hope) along with a guy in a wheelchair who said, and I'm quoting here, “that's quite the shirt”.

Why yes, it is. Although based on the way he said it I'm guessing we don't think that it's quite the shirt in quite the same way.

I mean, I know it's not a shirt for everyone. The colors are, uhm, colorful, and not everyone would be comfortable wearing it. And after the stares and the comment I started to realize that it does draw (even more) attention to me, something that I probably really don't need considering who I am and the fact that I seem to draw enough attention to myself as it is.

But I like the jersey. I have the skin tone to pull it off, and the colors make things “pop”. I guess, for some people, it makes them pop a little too much, but that's never bothered me before, so why should it start now?

Anyway, if you happen to see me wear it again in the future, feel free to stare. I mean, I'd prefer that your stare would just be because I'm wearing a sports jersey, but I realize that you'd probably be staring because of something else.

You know—because it's “quite the shirt”.

8-)

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment