Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Tuesday, 6/2


I did not mean to make anyone cry.

Yesterday's short blog and picture seems to have touched an awful lot of people (just scroll down a little to check it out, if you haven't yet). I've gotten all kinds of notes about it, and I just wanna say 'thanks” to everyone who took a little time to send me something, even if it was just an e-mail that let me know (jokingly) that one reader had to reapply her mascara after looking at it.

Sorry about that.

The genesis for the piece came about while I was running yesterday morning and saw the lilac tree that was pictured. It's the first one (at least that I've noticed) in Marquette with blooms, so it immediately caught my attention. I was six or seven blocks away from home; by the time I got back, the little written piece that went with the picture was fully formed in my head, and a few minutes later (after I ran back down with a camera) the piece was up on the web.

Amazing how quickly you can do things these days.

Now here's the kicker. I wouldn't have normally seen the lilacs, because I usually don't run where the tree was blooming. But every so often I feel compelled to run down a certain street, and for whatever reason yesterday was one of those days. If I hadn't run down that street I wouldn't have seen the lilacs, wouldn't have posted the blog, and wouldn't have made Michelle from Marquette's mascara run.

But yesterday, for some reason, I felt compelled to run past my grandparents' old house on Magnetic and see the buds blooming on the first lilac tree I ever remember consciously sniffing.

Weird how that works out, huh?


No comments:

Post a Comment