Monday, June 29, 2020

Monday, 6/29


How many dead people do you have on your phone?

I needed to make a call to a restaurant for a little take out Saturday, and as I was scrolling through the contacts list on my phone I started to notice a few names of people no longer with us. While I was eating said takeout I did a full check, and I can now say, with some sadness, that I have six dead people on my phone.

Bummer.

Several were old friends Loraine met through her World War II research. Two were people I met through my History Center research. And one was someone who just died way too early. And, just to be fair, there may be another, a friend in France who was having some medical problems and from whom we haven't heard in a year.

But I'm going to be optimistic and say that I just have six dead people on my phone.

For a while I thought of deleting their info; after all, it's not like I can call them and chat or ask then a few questions. But I couldn't bring myself to do that. I have fond memories of all of these people. For a few, their contact info is literally all I have besides those fond memories. And while I know that deleting their contact info won't delete those memories, the info is an actual physical manifestation of their existence on earth.

Unlike, say, those memories.

What, though, will happen whenever I get a new phone and have enter all my contact info in? Will it be worth it to transfer the stuff from my deceased friends? Will it be strange? I mean, it's not anything I'll have to worry about soon; my current phone's only a couple of years old, but it is something to consider. After all, I may have one or two more on that list when the time comes.

I will, however, cross that bridge and, knowing me, devote quite a lot of thought to it whenever that time finally comes around.


No comments:

Post a Comment