Monday, June 22, 2020

Monday, 6/22


Ah, there’s nothing like the sound of a chainsaw at 8 in the morning.

It’s even better when the sound wakes you up, like it did to me Saturday morning. As you may know, I live in a densely packed part of Marquette. The buildings are within 10 or 20 feet of each other, and whatever back yards are around are pretty much all connected, although separated by fences. So Saturday morning I can’t say I was surprised by being jolted awake by the sound of a chainsaw tearing through a tree next door.

It was a joy. Trust me.

I think I knew something was up about 15 minutes before the sound of the chainsaw started, when I noticed the sound of a big bucket truck with a diesel engine idling nearby. I don’t think it was enough to fully wake me up; it was just loud enough to make an impression on someone like me who was half asleep and trying to stay that way. Unfortunately, I didn’t stay that way for long, as the chainsaw started to rip through a tree right at 8, and kept going for the next hour or so.

First of all, who the heck cuts down a tree at 8 in the morning? Especially at 8 in the morning on a Saturday? Especially at 8 in the morning on a Saturday in a neighborhood where there are dozens of other people within 50 feet of your chainsaw-ing, many of whom may still be sleeping (or even sleeping it off) at that hour? And who leaves a loud diesel truck running while doing the chainsaw-ing at 8 in the morning? I mean, you’re making enough noise with just the chainsaw; do you need to leave the truck running to complete your Symphony of Clatter in G Minor, Opus One? The last time I checked, diesel fuel was almost three four bucks a gallon. Based on the size of the bucket truck, it probably went through a gallon in four minutes, even while idling. Wouldn’t that get kind of expensive? Or is it a small price to pay for completion of your little symphony?

Sigh.

I’m sorry if I’m sounding like a Cranky Old Man (in training) here, but it was not the best way in the world to wake up. And I’m sure there are people out there who would scoff at the fact that I was awoken at 8 am; my co-workers who have to get up daily at 4 am would definitely have no sympathy for me. But there’s also common courtesy involved here. When you’re doing very loud work in a very densely populated neighborhood, shouldn’t you think of the people who live around you? I mean, if I had a lawn mower or a leaf blower I certainly wouldn’t go out at 10 or 11 at night and use them. That’s just common courtesy. So what makes 8 in the morning (especially on a Saturday) any different? Some of us work late, have sleeping patterns that reflect that, and don’t appreciate being jolted awake by a chainsaw (and a loud diesel truck) that early.

And that's all I have to say about that.

8-)




No comments:

Post a Comment