Thursday, June 11, 2020

Thursday, 6/11


Maybe there won't be a final episode after all.

As you may recall, a couple of months ago, when the lockdown was at its height, I started putting together short videos about Marquette history and posting them to Facebook. I was intending on stopping when things started to get back to normal. In fact, today's video, because it's a rather important day in Marquette history, was supposed to be the last.

But it looks like that won't be the case.

I don't know what it it. I don't know if it's the strangeness of the times, or if it's a shift in the zeitgeist, or what, but I think I've been recognized for these videos more than anything else I've ever done. And keep in mind I've been doing radio forever, I've hosted a TV show for the better part of a decade, and I give tours to hundreds of people at a time. Yet no matter where I go—from a downtown store to the beach at McCarty's Cove—all people wanna do is talk about the videos and let me know how much they've enjoyed them.

Who knew?

I mean, I'm glad people have taken to them so much. I'm REALLY glad that people have enjoyed watching them, and I've grateful that their enjoyment is allowing them to walk away knowing a little more about the history of this great place. I just had no idea that they would go over the way they did. I just started doing them as a goof, as a way to pass a little time during “Stay Home, Stay Safe”. Little did I know that I'd have people sending me pictures and suggesting topics and wondering when the next one would be posted.

I'm humbled by it all. Really, really humbled.

Like I said, today's was supposed to be the last day. But now, it won't. I'll be taking a few weeks off from producing them so I can get ready for my “Third Street: Day & Night” tour in a few weeks, but after that, I'm guessing I'll be back with a new “season”.

After all, even though it blows my mind, it seems like people can't wait.

8-)

****

Why is today such a big day in Marquette history? Well, watch the “season finale” and learn for yourself!






No comments:

Post a Comment