Thursday, October 3, 2019

Thursday, 10/3


As with my parents’ big anniversary two weeks ago (the one that ended in a “0”), today brings another epochal event in the extended Koski family--

My little sister is having a birthday. One that also ends in a “0”.

Now, you already know the rules of the Koski family, right? We don’t like aging or getting old; therefore, we’re never allowed to actually mention, in a public forum, how long we’ve been alive, how long we’ve been married, or how long we’ve been celebrating certain milestones. We can mention it as a family, but that’s as far as it goes.

(I know, but every family has its traditions, right? Some people go caroling every Christmas; we just simply deny we’re getting older.)

Anyway, many of you know Melanie even if you don’t know her. For many years her occupation was that of a water meter reader for the city of Marquette; where it seems she met every single person who lived here. She went back to college and got her degree in hospitality management, and now's she's managing the deli at Great Lakes Fresh Market, so if you're in there to pick up yummy food (which you really should be doing) the person giving you the food will probably be my sister.

In all families, every sibling is a little different. Yet in our family, if any of us have any similarities, I’m thinking it’s probably my sister and me. Oh, the differences are still there; she has a house & kids, I don’t and don’t. She can be much more “responsible” and “adult” than I ever want to be, and she thrives on having 18 different things going at once, whereas I’ll sometimes whine about it. But we’re also the siblings who make sure things are taken care of, the siblings who make fun of family oddities, and the siblings who have tried to carry on family traditions, which should be interesting now that she's thinking of moving to be closer to her daughters.

We’re also similar in that uniquely Koski way. The last time I had a birthday that ended with a “0”, I fought it kicking & screaming all the way. And now that my sister’s celebrating that very same birthday a few years later, she doesn’t want a big deal made out of it, either. I understand that perfectly, the fact that I’m writing about it in a public forum notwithstanding. But why do big brothers exist if not to give their little sisters a little grief, right?

Right?

Anyway, if you happen to see Mel around the next few days, wish her a happy birthday. Don’t mention which birthday it is; just wish her a happy birthday. I know I’ll be doing that myself.

Happy birthday, Mel!!!

Your big (&, sadly, older) brother,



No comments:

Post a Comment