Thursday, October 24, 2019

Thursday, 10/24


Well, it's now official. We're going over twice in 2020.

I think I've mentioned in here before about how Loraine & I were pondering heading to Europe twice next year. The first would be to see another spring soccer game in Germany, and with the exception of getting the tickets to the game itself (something you can't do until six weeks or so before the match) everything's all booked and ready to go. Then we were also considering going back to France for the first time in four years, during our usual late summer window. And we've now bought the tickets for that.

Just not the way we thought.

At one time, we had been thinking about using frequent flier miles to get over to Paris. After all, we both have a lot of them built up from all these trips we've been taking, and we figured that this would be an economical way of going to Europe twice in a year. However, while you can fly anywhere in the US for a mere pittance (as far as miles go), and you can go to other places in Europe without needing hundreds of thousands of miles, you can't do that to go to Paris.

Just let me say this—if you ever wanna use frequent flier miles to go to Paris (at least on American) make sure you have 200,000 or so.

Here's the funny thing about it—we both have around 150,000 miles (give or take a few for me, because I've already used some). American's website said I could buy enough extra miles to allow me to use them for a flight to Paris, but to purchase the 40,000 I need would cost around $2,000. Or I could just pay $1,300 for a regular ticket and not use any miles at all.

You can probably guess which option I chose.

I did have to laugh, though. I mean, really? It costs more to buy a few frequent flier miles than it does to just buy an actual airline ticket? It's almost like, you know, they don't want you to use the miles you've accumulated. And even when you do, you get weird things like this. I could use some of my miles to get a ticket from Marquette from Chicago. Or I could use fewer miles to fly from Marquette to Chicago and then on to Washington DC, to Savannah, or to Melbourne Beach, Florida (just to name three examples). Yup...it actually costs less (in terms of miles) to fly FARTHER away from Chicago than just to Chicago itself.

Tell me how that makes ANY sort of sense at all.

But that's neither here nor there. Airlines are stupid. I think we've established that over the years. And if you ever want to fly into Paris, even if you're not staying there, be prepared to shell out a premium no matter what you're using to pay. It's not logical, but that's the way it is. All that matters is that we are now set for two trips to Europe next year. And we've discovered that we each have enough miles saved for two or three flights to various locations around the US, should we so desire. After all, we have the miles. We might as well use them, right?

Now, if I could just get my boss to give me an extra week or two of vacation. And find someone to get all my work done for me. And someone to pay for all the extras like hotels and food.  And...and...

Okay. So there are still a few kinks left to be worked out. I'll keep you updated on that.

8-)



No comments:

Post a Comment