Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Wednesday, 2/22

Even if I did have a bad day, why would I bother anyone with it?

Over the past few years I've received comments from people regarding something I do on the air, and it happened again yesterday after talking about my sore post-dental visit mouth, a mouth that wasn't allowing me to speak with all its normal fluidity (not that I'm a very fluid speaker to begin with, but, you get the idea) Anyway, the comments are something I never really thought about, but it must make an impression on some people. The comments have to do with how I never seem to have a “bad day” when I'm on the air, how I always seem “to have a smile in (my) voice”. Apparently I always sound like I'm happy and having fun when I'm on the air, and people notice that.

And from the sound of it they appreciate it, as well.

Trust me, I do have bad days. Some days, I'm dealing with recalcitrant equipment, other days, it's dealing with a personal situation. So I do have bad days. But I don't let it affect my on-air performance. My job is to entertain people, to make sure they have a good time getting through their days. They may tune in to try and make their own bad day better; why would I add to their troubles with troubles of my own?

I mean, I'm really lucky. Being an optimist by nature I really don't have a lot of bad days, and even if something is weighing upon me I have this freakish ability to compartmentalize. I seem to be able to shove whatever's bothering me to the back of my head for a few minutes when I need to do something else. I don't know if I'm lucky in that respect or if it's a sign of some serious mental instabilities (neither would surprise me). All I know is that if people are tuning in for fun or to relieve their own troubles, it doesn't do much for them if I'm a major bummer.

And it's something, apparently, that people notice.

So, if you don't mind, I'll just continue being me on the air. In all honesty, I wouldn't know how to do it any differently, anyway, so I guess you're stuck with an optimist with a smile in his voice.

Even if my jaw aches or I'm having a bad day.

*****

For whatever reason this event hasn't received a lot of publicity, but my (much) better half is doing a program tomorrow night! That's right; Loraine will be doing a presentation for the Northern Center for Lifelong Learning on the writing of her two books. It gets underway tomorrow (Thursday) night at 7 at Peter White Public Library. I know I'll be there!



(p.s.--the episode of “Bizarre Foods” that The Travel Channel shot in Marquette County last summer? It airs Tuesday night at 9, if you're curious)

No comments:

Post a Comment