Thursday, February 9, 2017

Thursday, 2/9

I haven't had to do it much so far this year, but today was definitely a day I had to walk the dog.

No; I haven't done anything totally out of character like go out and get an actual dog. As you know, if you've been reading these at all, I would never do that. Instead, “walking the dog” has become, between me & Loraine, synonymous with an occasionally daily chore neither of us wants to do yet still needs to be done--

Taking the car out for a spin.

As you may know, we both walk to work every day. We've toyed with the idea of getting rid of our one remaining car, but we both realize that we DO need a vehicle on occasion. So we've kept Loraine's car, which just sits in our driveway when not being used, which is basically six days a week. And since we actually want it to start on the one day we use it, when we hit a cold day like today or a cold snap like earlier this winter, when the temperature gets or stays below zero, one of us needs to get into the car, crank it up, and take it for a little spin.

And guess who that person usually is?

I don't mind doing it. After all, I want the car to start when we need to go to the grocery store or if I need to go shoot an episode of “High School Bowl”. Besides; over the years I've had enough car batteries killed off by extreme cold. I don't need to it happen to a car of Loraine's. So I'll carve out a few minutes of my day to make sure it doesn't happen.

Luckily, I haven't had to do it much this year, but even when I only have to do it once—like today--it can still be a bit of a chore. It's almost exactly like owning a dog—you know you have to get up in the morning, get dressed, and take it out for a walk. The only difference is that I don't need a leash and I don't have to pick up any poop.

Other than that, it's exactly like walking a dog.

Of course, there is an upside to having to go out occasionally and walk the dog. For instance, we've only had to fill up the gas tank once since before Christmas, and even then we only had to put $12 bucks worth of fuel in. So, I guess when you think of it, having to “walk the dog” once or twice a month could be considered a fair trade-off.

Thankfully, I really believe we're starting to run out of occasions that'll necessitate walking the dog. After all, Spring should be springing some month soon, and then we won't even have to think about it until, you know, next winter. Let's hope the forecasts hold, the temperatures remain above zero after today, and the dog gets to stay in the driveway.



No comments:

Post a Comment