Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Tuesday, 2/21

Quick question--what do YOU do with your tax refund?

You mean, you DON’T buy a bunch of European chocolate with it? Isn’t that what tax refunds are for? Well...shows what I know, I guess.

I know I write about chocolate quite a bit , but I have to mention it again today. We’ve received our refund a couple of weeks ago and like every year immediately paid a visit to a couple of our favorite web sites to stock up on our collection of Galler, Callebaut, and Cote D’Or. Sure, we’ll be able to buy them in person in Belgium in a few months, but what are we supposed to do until then? Go without?

Yeah, I know. One of these days we’ll turn in to responsible adults. But don’t hold your breath waiting.

Actually, we use a very small percentage of our tax refund for chocolate. Most of it goes to mundane things, like car rental or travel insurance and Euros for our trips, but we always manage to set aside a little for a small taste of decadent goodness. After all, isn’t this the time of the year that you need a little something like that? It sometimes seems like we haven’t seen the sun for several months, and I can’t think of anything that would serve as good of a remedy for that as would chocolate.

Well, okay, maybe a trip to Aruba would. But our tax refund isn’t THAT big!

It’s always a joyous day in our apartment when the Belgian Shop or the German Shop box arrives, and yesterday was no exception. Yesterday's shipment from German Shop 24 was greeted with much joy in the Koski household. We tore open (carefully, mind you) the box and out popped chocolate from Ritter and Milka and Schoegetten, all meticulously wrapped in that way that Germans are meticulous about everything. We now have all of our favorites, plus Loraine has some espresso bars that are a little too strong for me and I have some marzipan bars that I first found in Leipzig a few years ago, bars where the chocolate and marzipan are actually soaked in alcohol, something we both find quite funny seeing as how I don't drink.

But they taste GREAT!

Also in the packages were two boxes of cereal, both from Kolln, which would be the German equal to Kelloggs or to Post. Both Loraine and I had to get a box of perhaps the best cereal on the planet, Kolln's Schoko-Kirsch Muesli--


This is a cereal with granola, little chocolate puffy bits, shaved pieces of dark chocolate, and dried cherries in it. I discovered it one of the first times we stayed in Germany, and I've always made a point of bringing back a box or two of it, even if I hafta toss some underwear or an old tube of toothpaste to make room.

After all, I know what's REALLY important!

I know a lot of people complain about having to do their taxes, but when you use part of your refund for goodies like that, you actually look forward to filing them. Trust me--it helps!!


No comments:

Post a Comment