Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Wednesday, 2/15

The scales have now been tipped.

As you know, I've been doing this job for a long time now. A long, long time. But today marks a turning point in that long, long time. I'm probably the only one who would even think to mark it; after all, I'm sure a normal person wouldn't even notice. But it's something that made me sit down & do math to mark the occasion, so mark it I shall.

When I walk in the door to go to work today, I will have worked one day longer in Marquette than I did in Ishpeming.

Let me explain—when I started doing this job way back last century (1988, to be specific), the studios were located in Ishpeming. I would have to drive up once (or twice) a day to go to work, and to take care of whatever issues needed taking care of. The studios were in a dusty warehouse of a building, a building where the only view was of a cemetery or a parking lot, a building where the air conditioning didn't work well during the summer and the heating didn't work well in winter. Computers would break down because of the dust, heat, or cold, and things were starting to get untenable. Our fearless leader at the time, Joe Blake, decided we needed to move to place where both the computers and the people would be happy, and the day before Thanksgiving, 2002, we finished a big project and started broadcasting from here in downtown Marquette, a moment I marked by playing U2's “Beautiful Day” as the first song from our new place.

And yes, I did it on purpose.

Late last year, I started wonder how long I had worked in Ishpeming, and realized that I was coming up on pretty much the same length of time as I've worked here in Marquette. So I sat down, did the math, and realized that today is the day the scales tip. After today, I can now say that I've worked longer in Marquette that I did in Ishpeming. And those 14 years, two months, and a couple of weeks have been a blast; our location here in the middle of everything has allowed us to do all kinds of fun broadcast events (everything from New Year's Eve Ball Drops to cooking S'mores & grilled cheese sandwiches on a 95 degree sidewalk). It's also made our computer equipment happy; instead of replacing parts or machines every few months, we've gone over a decade using mostly the same equipment. And on those rare occasions when things do break, I can walk three blocks to fix whatever needs fixing, as opposed to having to get into a car, clean it off if it's winter, and spending 20 minutes getting to where I need to go

In fact, I did one other piece of math. By walking seven minutes to work & back every day, instead of spending 45 minutes driving, I've been given an extra two thousand hours back in my life that I didn't have to spend commuting. That's over 90 days of my life not spent in a car, and instead spent in the fresh air.

That might be the best thing about this whole day.

So, like I said, today's kind of an important day. I mean, it's important to no one but me, but still...it's a turning point. From here on in, the scale starts tipping the other way.



No comments:

Post a Comment