Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Wednesday, 1/18

I have to make cookies soon, and writing down a reminder to myself reminded me that I have to unleash a rant about something. So if you don’t mind (or even if you do), here we go--

How come they still insist putting flour in paper containers, especially containers that allow holes to be torn in them way too easily? Last time I checked, it’s the 21st century...can’t they come up with something a little more high-tech than easily torn paper?

Okay, I’m done complaining. And yes, I know that I could put flour into a plastic container the next time I open a bag, but that’s not the point. Why does flour come in a flimsy bag to begin with? Especially a bag that could explode into a big mushroom cloud of white powder, something that MAY have happened in a certain Marquette kitchen a month or so ago when a certain Marquette resident may have had to open a new bag of flour to make Christmas cookies.

I’m not naming names, but it MAY have happened. Hence, my complaint about the bags in which they still sell flour. While I’m all for using environmentally friendly packaging, and paper’s about the most environmentally friendly container you can get, why is it the paper and glue they use is so hard to tear apart? Maybe I’m doing this wrong--it wouldn’t be the first time that’s happened--but I try to be very careful when opening a bag of flour. I mean, it does no good to tear open a bag of flour recklessly and leave a huge gaping hole in the side of it; after all, have you ever tried to pour flour out of a bag with a huge gaping hole in the side of it?

If that’s the case, then why are tops of bags of flour so tightly wound and tightly glued? I know they have to be strong sealed enough so they don’t burst open in the store or in transit--I get that--but why are they sealed so tightly that it could take either an incredibly sharp knife or a laser cutter just to get the bag open without traumatic injury to it? Or to you? Like I said, maybe I’m doing it wrong. Maybe I still haven’t discovered the secret to opening a bag of flour properly. But it just seems to be that there should be a better way of selling flour than in a paper bag that’s prone to explosion. It really does.

And that, to quote a great American, is all I’m gonna say about that. After all, I don't wanna start approaching my quota of crankiness for the month. There are still thirteen days left! So with that...

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment