Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Tuesday, 8/30

It's not THAT big of a project, but it is something I needed to take care of.

Yesterday (in fact, several times over the past month or two) I've talked about a “project” I've been trying to tackle this summer. It's one of the reasons why (until yesterday) I haven't taken or posted many pictures recently, and now, apparently, a few of you are wondering why.

It's all because of my “Summer Stock Footage” project.

I'm sure this sounds dorky and/or a tad too strange, but instead of wandering around on warm & sunny summer days taking pictures I instead have spent time wandering around on warm & sunny summer days shooting video of things I would normally be taking pictures of. So in a way I HAVE been taking a lot of pictures this summer; they're just moving instead of still.

See? Dorky and/or a tad too strange.

Why, you ask, have I spent the summer shooting video I may or may not one day use? Well, every winter when I put together another series of those “Pieces of the Past” videos I do for the Marquette Regional History Center I have to use snowy footage of whatever I'm discussing. And since, as we all know I really don't like winter, I figured that if I spent a little time this summer shooting warm & sunny stock footage that I might be able to use when it's cold and snowy; well, in my book that's a win.

So all summer long I've just been wandering around the city shooting footage of things I may or may not need. I figure that even if I don't use the footage in a history video that I may have use for it some day, in some form. Either that, or some dork 100 years in the future might thank me, another dork, for shooting footage so s/he can see what Marquette looked like in 2022.

You know, the way I drool over black & white still pictures of what Marquette looked like in 1922.

So if you've wondered why I haven't put many pictures up this summer, that's why. I haven't been taking many pictures to put up. However, if we're in the dead of winter and I put up a video where everything is warm and sunny and green, you'll understand the reason why.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment