Thursday, August 25, 2022

Thursday, 8/25

Why no, I'm not retiring. But thanks for asking.

Last night my pal Jack & I wrapped up a two-night gig at the Lake Superior Theater, reprising a few of our big Kaufman shows. As I was speaking to people before last night's show, a couple came up to me and said they're going to miss me, and that I hope I enjoy my retirement. This both delighted and confused me, as I was happy they were going to miss me yet also a bit befuddled as to WHY they'd miss me. After all, I'm not really anywhere near retiring, and unless other people know something I don't, I'm still planning on going to work this morning.

I still need to go to work this morning, right?

Anyway, after speaking with the couple it turns out they were fans of the “On The Town” segments I just finished doing for TV-6 & Fox UP. When I taped the final one last week, I made a quick mention thanking everyone for eight and a half years, and saying “goodbye”. For some reason (maybe, you know, because of the gray hair I keep talking about??) they assumed that my quitting that particular segment meant that I was retiring from working overall. I set them straight, and while I couldn't tell them exactly WHY I quit doing the segment, I assured them that I'd be back on TV terrorizing their psyches before they know it.

And they were happy about that.

Except for when I speak with my financial adviser, retirement is the furthest thing from my mind. I mean, I know I'm (a lot) closer to retirement age than I was when I started working, but I don't see me quitting any time soon. I could joke and say that, because I work in radio and make no money, I can never retire, but that would be just it—a joke. Thankfully, I've taken care of my future, and when I finally do get to retirement age I could hang it up, if I'd like. But then what would I do? I don't have grandkids, I don't garden, and I don't drive a motor-home. Within a few months, after (finally) catching up on my sleep, I'd be like my parents were after they sold their businesses and retired in their 50s.

I'd be getting myself a part-time job or two because I was so bored.

Actually, part of me WOULD look forward to having nothing but time to work on history videos and projects I'd like to tackle but currently do not have the time for. And that would, I guess, be a great reason to retire. But despite what the couple thought last night, that won't be any time soon. Because while I AM leaving one TV gig, I have a couple of others just waiting to take its place.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment