Friday, August 12, 2022

Friday, 8/12

Wow. It really is almost over.

Monday is the 15th of August, which marks the halfway point of the month. If you consider “summer” to be the months of June, July, and August (which I think most of us do) that means we are now in the final half of the final month of summer.

Summer is 5/6ths (or 84%) of the way over, and it doesn't even seem like it's started yet.

I know I wrote about this a few weeks ago, but where the heck has the season gone? Just a few weeks ago (or so it seems) we were dealing with increasing hours of the day and (slightly) increasing temperatures to go along with it. Now it's dark at 9 pm and, in some places in the UP this morning, temperatures got down into the 30s.

The 30s. Summer, we hardly knew ye.

When I was young, my grandfather told me many things. I, being young, didn't think he knew what he was talking about, and promptly forgot most of them. But two things he did say stuck with me, for whatever reason. One was that sardines out of a can were delicious. The other was that as you get older, time goes by more and more rapidly. Being a kid, I didn't believe him on that particular matter, but as it turns out he was 100% correct. And that's why, even to this day, when I'm speaking with someone who's much younger than I (like a few nights ago with my niece Sydney) I always preface my “wisdom” by saying “you may think I don't know what I'm talking about, but in a few years you'll get it”.

Just like I now realize my grandfather was right, at least about how time flies as you get older. I'm still pretty sure he was way off base about the sardines.

Hopefully you were able to get something out of summer, and not have had it (like for some of us) slip by in the wink of an eye. And if you didn't? Well, there's still 16 percent of the season left, and hopefully, some of it will still be summer-like.

So enjoy it with all the gusto you can.

Have a great weekend,

(jim@wmqt.com

No comments:

Post a Comment