Thursday, February 10, 2022

Thursday, 2/10

Well, what do you know. It actually worked.

If you read this on Tuesday, you may recall how I've been having a problem typing because of the fact that there is a huge crack on the tip of my right index finger, one of the four fingers I actually use while typing. After mentioning it on the air, I got a phone call from listener Jim in Ishpeming, who's a retired nurse. He said in the past that when they've had the same problem they've stuck a little dollop of superglue on the cracked skin, and it's acted as a little cap to allow regular use of the finger.

And you know what? He's right!

I never would have thought of putting superglue on my finger, but it's amazing how it works. I can pound on a computer key and not feel anything, the small amount of glue doesn't seem to make my fingers go where I don't want them to go, and I don't spend hours obsessing whether or not the crack will be getting bigger.

Thanks for the advice, Jim. Now I'm just left to wonder how long the superglue will stick to my finger. It IS superglue, after all, and its one job is to stick to things.   I guess we'll just have to see how THAT turns out!

****

On another note, my co-workers are back. Not actual co-workers, of course, as I'm coming up on almost two years of being the only human in the building. But if you recall, last summer a couple of birds wormed their way into the awning in front the station and set up camp. The owners of the building came by, sealed up the opening they made, and they were on their way.

But now they're back.

A couple of weeks ago one of the pieces of wood the owners used to cover up the hole in the awning blew out and fell on the sidewalk. No more than two days later, the birds were back exploring their old office space, and in the last week or so they've made the move permanent. Every time I'm coming into the station or sitting in the front lobby working I hear at least two birds walking around in the awning and/or coo-ing to their hearts content.

So I have co-workers again.

If nothing else, I have to give the birds credit for the dedication. Even after they were sealed out last summer they would fly up to the awning to see if they could get in, and during the months they couldn't they kept trying day in and day out. I don't know what it is with that awning and those particular birds, but there sure is some kind of magnetic draw between them. So when they could actually make it in a few weeks ago they must have been thrilled beyond belief.

Assuming of course, birds can be thrilled beyond belief.

The owners of the building have been informed of their new tenants; I have no idea if they'll be around soon or not to evict them. But for the time being, I'm not working alone.

And I can hear the daily flapping of wings to prove it.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment