Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Wednesday, 1/19

I spent the longest time yesterday wondering why I got a greasy wrench in the mail. Then I remembered it wasn't for me.

What? You've never had an old tool get dropped off by the US Postal Service? Really? That's just me? Then you can imagine my surprise when the wrench showed up at work yesterday from an eBay seller. When I opened it all sorts of thoughts went through my head—did I forget a Christmas gift for Loraine? Am I being scammed? Did I order so much stuff during the holidaze that I zoned out and just started clicking on random items?

Then I remembered Carl.

Some of you may remember our young friend Carl from Belgium. Among the many things he does (aside from speaking five languages and being a lawyer and future president of the European Union) is collect World War II equipment. That makes sense; he may very well be the world's greatest living authority on the 106th Infantry Division, which is how we met him. Every so often he'll come across an old piece that he doesn't have in his collection, and he'll order it from a seller in the US. Very rarely, the seller doesn't ship the pieces to Europe, and that's where we come in.

Because we're just returning the favor.

You see, every so often Loraine and I want to purchase something (usually soccer jerseys) from Germany or France. Often times the teams won't ship to the US, so we have them sent to Carl, who then sends them to us. He's also offered to ship chocolate & cereal should we need it. Thankfully, you can usually get those sent to the US.

But not soccer jerseys. Or, apparently, WW II-era wrenches, screwdrivers, or wire crimpers.

So hopefully, sometime in the next few days when an old screwdriver and something else that looks weird shows up I'll remember they're for Carl and not, you know, the result of a blackout binge on eBay.

Not that you'd think that would happen, but after the past two years you never, never know.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment