Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Wednesday, 1/12

I just found myself an extra week.

Well, mayhap I should be a little more clear. I did not lose a week and then find it, nor did I fulfill that long-held dream to actually have extra time added to a year. Nope; this was something that jolted me awake in the middle of the night last night, and immediately made me feel like the idiot we all know I am.

Not that that ever happens.

Here's the deal—when I got home Monday night I had a moment of semi-panic when I realized that I have to write a newspaper article for the upcoming “Cops & Robbers” show Jack & I are doing at Kaufman. I thought I had to get it done right away, because the deadline for it is Friday, the day before I do finish line announcing at the Noquemanon and a couple of days before the show itself next Thursday night. So while I ate dinner I also sat typing out the story of a gruesome murder in South Marquette 130-some years ago, several details of which almost made me lose said dinner.

But I finished it, and it was a weight lifted off my shoulders.

Fast forward to, oh, 2:45 am or so last night, when I woke up in a jolt and (eventually) realized I'm an idiot. Yes, the newspaper article is due the day before the Noquemanon, which is a few days before the Kaufman show. However, the Noquemanon is not this Saturday, it's next Saturday. The Kaufman show isn't a week from Thursday, it's two weeks from Thursday. And the newspaper article I raced through, the one that almost made me lose my dinner, isn't due Friday, it's due a week from Friday.

I don't know why I thought this week was next week, but I did. I are an idiot.

Sometimes I amaze even myself, and usually not in a good way. I don't know how anyone with functioning brain cells could think it's next week and not this week, especially because next week has a holiday to kick it off and I'm pretty sure I would have noticed if the holiday had gone by. Yet I did just that. I have no idea how; I just did

So yes, I am an idiot. But on the plus side, I now have an extra week in my life, and I have a newspaper article written and ready to go. I guess that it's scant consolation for being an idiot.

But it is something.

(jim@wmqt.com), temporally challenged idiot.

No comments:

Post a Comment