Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Tuesday, 9/14

 Yesterday, I wrote about a choice. A very bad, bad choice. Today, let's discuss a slightly better one.

First of all, let me thank those of you who sent notes of sympathy and/or horror after reading about the skunk/cigarette smoke double whammy of yesterday. I'm just glad you guys didn't have to go through it and, hopefully, it'll never happen again

Can it?

Now, here's the other choice that popped into my head while thinking about choice. Which month is better—May or September?

Before you think I've lost my marbles (yet again), let me explain the rationale behind it. May and September are the “buffer months” of summer, which for the purposes of these musings are June, July & August. May gets us ready for summer, while September eases us out of it. Both months have good points and bad points, but which is “better”?

And yes, I realize “better” is a highly subjective term, so you'll have to decide on that for yourself.

But here's how I'm thinking of it because, seriously, I can't decide. May, while it's cool, has more sun, a higher sun angle, and the promise of a warm summer yet to come. September, meanwhile, is warmer than May, and gives us (on occasion) a few last really hot days out of which to wring every remaining second of summer-like weather. If you want to look at it another way, May is a month filled with optimism and hope but will often left you down. September., on the other hand, is reliable but, as it wears on, is also increasingly gloomy.

So trying to choose between the two is difficult, if not downright impossible.

I have no idea why my mind drifts to questions like these; it's probably my id's way of trying to get me ready for yet another wonderful UP winter. All I know is that it's a choice that's interesting to ponder.

Much more interesting than, say, having to choose between skunk and cigarette smoke.

8-)

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment