Monday, September 27, 2021

Monday, 9/27

 Loraine's a good person to have around.

I mean, there are many reasons why the Most Amazing Woman in the World is good to have around, but the way in which I'm thinking today has to do with a 1947 movie called “Daisy Kenyon”. One of the times she was at Peter White Public Library doing her World War II research she came across a little snippet about the movie and shared it with me.

I've been taking it to the bank ever since.

You see, the film was on “Turner Classic Movies” this past Saturday, so I decided to share that fact on a couple of places on Facebook. Why would I do that, you ask? Well, I answer, because the nugget Loraine found out about the film was that a scene was shot here in Marquette. This scene, specifically--



That's a screen shot from the 20-second scene they shot at Presque Isle one day in March of 1947. Before Loraine shared the newspaper clip with me I had no idea it existed; since then, I've gotten blogs, TV commercials for the History Center, newspaper articles, and now, a Facebook post with over 500 likes from it.

I think I owe her something for that, don't you?

I actually think we make a pretty good team in that way. She comes across something that she can't use but I might find interesting and shares it with me. I do the same for her. In the case of that story from a long-ago edition of the Mining Journal, it's just a gift that keeps on giving.

And I'm really glad I'm the one to whom she gave it.

So next time you see a blog, commercial, newspaper article, or Facebook post about “Daisy Kenyon” and how one scene of it was shot in Marquette, just remember that while I'm probably the person telling it, it's a story that would not be told without the keen eye of the Most Amazing Woman in the World.

Thanks, Loraine!!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment