Friday, September 24, 2021

Friday, 9/24

 Maybe it's a sign the sign should be moved.

Several times this past summer, when it was nice out, I would take my lunch down to Lower Harbor and munch on it at one of the picnic tables in front of the ore dock. Several times this past summer, when it was nice out, my mom & her cousins would hold their weekly Wednesday dinner at one of the picnic tables in front of the ore dock. Aside from the fact that we both eating there there was another thing that occurred to both of us at least five or six times a visit--

Tourists asking what that “thing” is in the water.

Now, I realize that the Lower Harbor Ore Dock—dock #6, as those of us in the know like to call it—is something that tourists find fascinating. It's unique, it commands your attention, and it compels you to find out more about it. That's why so many people visiting the area asked us about it.

When asked, I was more than happy to tell visitors the story behind it (sometimes, perhaps, more than they wanted to hear), and my mom & her cousins did the same. When we were discussing it last week my mom mentioned that the city might want to put up a sign explaining what the ore dock is.

Then, while I was out taking pictures this past Sunday I was at dock #6, and noticed there is indeed a sign explaining what the dock is. Unfortunately, it's on the bike path and not right near the dock--



I understand why there's a sign on the bike path, so that people walking or biking nearby can learn about the dock. But what about all the people who just pull their car into the parking lot to catch a glimpse of the dock? They don't know there's a sign on the bike path (heck, even I wasn't fully aware there's a sign on the bike path) so they have no idea there's the whole story nearby. Instead, they have to ask people sitting at the picnic tables. Thankfully, almost all of us are more than happy to explain what the dock is.

But what about those times when there's no one eating lunch or visiting with their cousins? Then what do visitors do?

I guess I'll have to drop a few hints to people about either moving the current sign or putting another one up by the dock. After all, it is one of the symbols of where we live. It's one of the unique things that make Marquette “Marquette”. And wouldn't it be nice for people visiting this rather unique community to get the whole story of the iconic structure?

At the very least, I think so.

Have yourself a great weekend!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment